Friday, November 11, 2011

The new suffering of Gary L.

Chronic disability relationship, ignorant critics, and a nasty writer's block. Snow Patrol frontman Gary Lightbody (35) is not simply to rest. Why is the hulking gawk studied with the proliferating wildly curls his salvation in veritable workaholic. Be it an enthusiastic amateur DJ. As a composer for soundtracks and artist friends (including Nicole Scherzinger). But even with side projects such as Tired Pony and permanent jet from Belfast, New York and Los Angeles. What does not work without private hardships, such as 1LIVE learned during the conversation in a Berlin luxury hotel.

1LIVE: Gary, what's the problem?
Gary Lightbody: What? I have many!

1LIVE: The one with the women. On "Fallen Empires" everything turns back to unrequited love and failed - an approach with which you now fill six albums. There seems to be something goes wrong ...

Gary Lightbody (laughs): No idea what it is. But I have no knack. Regarding relationships, I'm like a bull in a china shop. A real disaster. I manage to make even the most understanding woman says after a few weeks: "It is enough, I will not see you anymore." Probably because I'm not in a position to back off, but always say what I think. And this is quite a mistake.

1LIVE: And to be a millionaire rock star and elected to the "10 sexiest Irishmen" to be, does not help?


Gary Lightbody: Unfortunately not. I tend to feel that makes it even worse. Simply because it provides for expectations that can not satisfy me. I mean, I'm not particularly sexy, and I'm not even on big feet. I have a small apartment in Belfast, a comic book collection ...

1LIVE: This is supposedly really valuable?


Gary Lightbody: Well, I've stopped buying comics when I was 13 or 14 more and I became interested in rock music. So when I needed the money for albums and singles. (Laughs) But I've definitely are a few rare books, which are welded well in the basement of my parents, and the now expected to be worth something. Especially the early Marvel stuff, which I am also still. And funny enough, I keep getting paid to comics fans who know about my passion, which I find very nice. Also, I enjoy the whole film versions that are currently running in cinemas. As "Captain America" ​​or "Thor".

1LIVE: Also, you seem a big fan of "Pirates of the Caribbean" to be ...


Gary Lightbody: And how! I love the show. (Laughs) And I'm on Penélope Cruz. I mean, she's beautiful. A crazy woman!


In touch: Gary Lightbody and Nathan Connolly

1LIVE: Is the video for new single, "Called Out In The Dark" is thus something like clip your Application for a potential role in the fifth part? Finally, as you kick against none other than Jack Davenport ...


Gary Lightbody: Yes, and Jack has done a stunning job. Just as sexy, slimy lead singer in a rock band. While I experience my ultimate nightmare. Exactly, that I must fight for it to again become part of my own band. But: It is definitely the funniest video that I was ever involved. Because normally, most are just boring - even unbearably boring. But this has a lot of fun.

1LIVE: We may ask, how did you come to know you?

The final curtain
Le rideau final
Die finale gordyn
Finalis sagi
Den sista ridån
El telón

Won't last a day without you


Gary Lightbody: Through a mutual friend in New York. They were standing next to me at some point said at the bar, and Jack: "All actors want to be musicians - unfortunately, most no talent." What I found so funny that we immediately became friends - and have watered properly.

1LIVE: Let me guess: The "Houndstooth" your pub on 8th Avenue?


Gary Lightbody: I'm just a partner. So, it is not mine alone. And basically it's just a place from which one can not throw me. (Laughs) But seriously: He's cool. I have since been djt GE and played a few acoustic sets. Moreover, it is nice to have a home from home in New York.

1LIVE: Is there also the Snow Patrol Burger?


Gary Lightbody (laughs): Only a few cocktails with old song titles, but I would never drink - I'm finally a man I'm on beer!

1LIVE: Just like techno. How long have you been working as a DJ?


Gary Lightbody: Nearly ten years. Because I love techno, house and drum 'n' bass. So much rhythm and beat-oriented music to which one can dance well and does not have to worry much about the lyrics. So far, this was a good balance to my own songs.


Snow Patrol at the Q Magazine Awards 2011

1LIVE: On the new album keeps this sound even their first appearance in the world of Snow Patrol. Why has it taken so long?


Gary Lightbody: Because we have are cowards, and not have dared. Just because we thought that we would be able to scare our fans, because that would be just too much. But this time it was so that we have reached our limits. That we had the feeling of having done everything, what can be achieved with guitar, bass and drums. And that we can not avoid coming to try something new. What I'm incredibly proud of. Simply because this is a giant step forward. And he tells us - at least this is my opinion - is doing incredibly well. He makes the whole thing sound fresh.

1LIVE: A second "pop" - Snow Patrol version of '97er U2 album?


Gary Lightbody: I ​​would not mind if it would sell well. But I do not think it is so radical. Finally, there are still a lot of guitars on the album - and pieces that sound like our old stuff. About "This Is not Everything You Are" or "New York", which are really epic and great, but better than ever. Simply because I kicked Michael Stipe in the butt.

1LIVE: What?


Gary Lightbody: When it came to song writing for the album, I remembered nothing partout. I was like a child to do his homework - but instead cleans up his room. And I've done things that I otherwise would never do in a million years. For example, washing dishes. And that's just because I was afraid of writing, and wanted to fill my time somehow different. Because I was completely empty. Michael looked up past, sounded like what I had and said: "You worry too much, just start writing - at some point it comes by itself.." What can I say? He was right. A few days later, the ideas just flowed out of me.

1LIVE: What about the critics? Why is there ice there for years and will change with the "Fallen Empires"?

Gary Lightbody: I ​​do not think so. If you ask me, the reviews have been completed before they have heard the album at all. You only need the title, and then they can write the usual sermon. What bothers me now no more - because it is unimportant. A euphoric review may sell a record, a song on the radio the other hand, thousands. So: Let them do what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment